Mangotsfield United

(Sky Blue & Maroon)



Swindon Supermarine

(All Red)

Goalscorer Aaron Woodley 4', Lee Marshall 6',

Connor Thompsonn 42'



Report.... Courtesy of Nick Taylor Your Sport Swindon 

Marine march on at Mangotsfield
Swindon Supermarine moved up to third in the Evostik Southern League West, making it seven games unbeaten after a commanding 3-0 performance away at Mangotsfield United. Manager Dave Webb started with last week’s two-goal hotshot Connor Thompson on the left as Ryan Campbell had to withdraw from the squad with illness earlier that morning, whilst Joe Sheppard replaced Jon Else, who was away on holiday.

Marine made the perfect start on only 4 minutes when Aaron Woodley (pictures 1,2,3)  finished off a great passing move from close range, after home keeper Thom Jonkerman, on loan from Bristol Rovers, had pulled off a smart save initially. Two minutes later and Marine doubled their lead when Lee Marshall’s (pcture 4) superb curling shot from 25 yards out flew into the net, having cut in from the right and side-stepped his marker.

Josh Hill was called into action on 8 minutes after Joe Selman gave the ball away, home forward Steve Davies’s goal-bound effort being superbly tipped around the post by the Marine keeper. Brad Hooper then warmed Jonkerman’s gloves from 30 yards after being cued up by Josh Parsons.

With the Mangos growing into the game with the dangerous Jordan Williams causing problems with his threatening runs down the left wing, Marine eased their worries on 42 minutes when Marshall found Sheppard on the overlap, whose pass eventually found Thompson (picture 5) on the left. With great close control, the diminutive winger broke in from the wing to smash home past the helpless keeper.

In a second half dominated by the Swindon side, the influential Parsons found Jonkerman at his best to tip his stinging drive over the crossbar on 56 minutes. Things went from bad to worse for the Bristol-based side when Mangos Acting Assistant Player/Manager, Lewis Hogg, was shown a straight red by Referee Dale Wootton for an alleged stamp on Thompson after the two clashed on the ball in the corner.

Jonkerman again kept Parsons at bay on 76 minutes, parrying his 30 yard bullet of a shot, then two minutes later Parsons curled just wide from the edge of the box after jinking around two static home defenders. On 82 minutes, Thompson almost grabbed his second when his right foot fizzer rebounded off the left hand post before Parsons again found the on-loan keeper in top form on 84 minutes, brilliantly keeping out the Marine top scorer’s pile-driver.

Speaking after the final whistle, Marine Manager Dave Webb was understandably delighted with the win, “I’m over the moon with the win, to go anywhere and win is pleasing but the manner of some of our football, especially in the first half was excellent. It’s so pleasing when you put all the hard work in through the week and then see it come to fruition on Saturday afternoon.” Marine now face the Southern League Premier’s basement side Gosport Borough away next Saturday in the F.A Cup and Webb is looking forward to this next challenge for his side,

“We can go to Gosport now in good heart and we are looking forward to it.   “It’s a great start for us and its now about keeping everybody’s feet on the ground making sure we don’t lose our focus. “We haven’t achieved anything yet and we’ve just got to keep this momentum going.”

Photos... Courtesy of Jeff Youd Photography
Aaron Woodley scoring his first goal for the club at Mangotsfield

lee Marshall scoring at Mangotsfield

Connor Thompson scores at Mangotsfield



click to go to match statistics >>>

click to go to match reports index >>>